The beginner crochet top pattern is perfect for spring and summer. This easy top is one of my favorite pieces when I think of hot weather because it has a fun little lace detail on the side that will give you a cool breeze when you wear them.
This summer top is simple to mix and match with any look because the white crochet top will go well with every color.
Pair it with denim shorts for a casual look, wear it with office trousers for a formal look, and still keep you in style at the same time, or even match it with the A-line skirt for a modern woman style. The possibility is endless.
Light & airy easy crochet top.
This lightweight top is one of the best beginner-friendly free crochet patterns out there in the crochet community because there is no shaping involved in this top.
Basically, we just crochet 2 identical rectangles and join them to create the armhole on the side and shoulder on the top edge. That’s all you are done!
Sure, y’all girls will love the easy step-by-step video tutorial That I made to follow along on youtube.
Basic stitches used for this crochet top pattern.
Sure, we all love basic crochet stitches…… they are the best for making this cute crochet top.
So I designed this sleeveless summer top by using just only simple crochet stitches like single crochet and double crochet, which you already know when you learn how to crochet. Did we?
Best yarn for crocheting simple summer tops.
- YES! Cotton yarn: is my love obsession, and they are perfect to work with for summer crochet tops and any garment for hot weather because they are lightweight, breathable, does not trap heat in itself, and is great for absorbing sweat and releasing it at the same time.
- Plant fiber yarn: bamboo, hemp, linen, and more.. those are as good as cotton yarn and may be better in terms of softer, stronger, and great for the environment than cotton, but they are a bit more pricey.
Overall, just pick the yarn that suits your need and budget-wise.
Beginner tip for crocheting a top for the best result.
Here I have shared some tips and tricks from my experience to get the perfect fit for this beginner summer top pattern or any other crochet tank top or crop top that you wanna make.
- Measure your bust: For a simple construction of the easiest crochet top that is made from 2 rectangles to fit whatever your size is by measuring your bust.
- Try it on: yep, you hear it right! Just try them on along the process so you know what you need to adjust to make it the perfect fit and get the best result.
- Pick the right yarn: Sure, yarn is one of the most important things before you start crocheting a summer top or a tank top; go for lightweight, and plant fiber content is most suitable for hot weather.
- Check your gauge: if you follow along the free crochet pattern instruction, be sure to check your gauge before you start to crochet because we all want a perfect fit crochet garment, right?
- Taking lots of breaks: yeah, girl! Taking a lot of breaks between now and then when you crocheting a top will make you feel refreshed and more productive either go for a walk, do a little dance, or have a coffee break, etc… they are all good.
Do you have more suggestions for the tip and trick, please comment to let me know. Thanks, gal.
Here is another easy crochet tank and top free patterns for you, girl!
Supplies & materials.
- I used Lion brand coboo DK weight yarn. I use around 700-800 yards.
- 3.0 mm crochet hook
- Sewing yarn needle
- stitch marker
Skill and abbreviations.
- You will need to know how to make
- (American crochet term)
- dc, which means double crochet
- sc, which means single crochet
- ch Chain
- slip knot
How to crochet a top for Beginners video tutorial.
Finished Size Approximately: XS-4XL easy to adjust
This top is made in size xs to small. The other sizes are easy to adjust by just adding more rows to make it wider. See the pattern detail below for a bigger size.
Gauge: 4 double crochet stitch x 4 row = 1 inch
For me the model wearing this piece, I am 4’9 feet tall.
PS. As you can see, the middle part that I finished is not perfect! But I did not bother to redo it again.
I am just going with the flow lol. So no worries, the result will be beautiful!
- Of one rectangle. (middle section)
- 18 inches long
- 12 inches wide
Crochet the middle section of the top first.
Pick up a crochet hook size 3.0 mm and Start off by making a slip knot.
Then make 52 chains ( size xs to small) (foundation chain in even number)
- Size xs to small 52 chains
- Size medium 62 chains
- Size large 72 chains
- Size XL 82 chains
- Size 2XL 92 chains
- Size 3XL 102 chains
- Size 4XL 112 chains
Row1: make 1dc in the next chain from hook and across until the end of the row, ch2 turn.
Row2. now you will work 1dc in each stitch across until the end of the row. ch2 turn.
Repeat row 2 until you get 18 inches long. or your desired length.
Start crocheting the lace detail on the side of the top.
After you finish the middle section, then sc along the edge of the center part for 1 row. Start one side at a time.
Row 1. of the side edge. Sc along the edge of the middle part until the end of the row, then ch 1 and turn.
Row 2. of the side edge. * sc in first st, then 2sc in next st* repeat this * to * until the end of the row, then ch 2 and turn.
Row 3. of the side edge. Dc in same st * dc in next st, ch1, skip 1 st then dc in next st* repeat this * to * until the end of the row, then ch 2 and turn.
Row 4. of the side edge. Dc in same st * dc in chain space, ch1, skip 1 st then dc in next chain space* repeat this * to * until the end of the row, then ch 2 and turn.
Row 5 and beyond. Repeat row 4 until you get your desired length.
Repeat the same on the other side of the edge.
After you got 2 pieces of rectangles, front and back panels.
Again. as you can see, the two rectangles that I finished are not exactly matched perfectly! But I did not bother to redo it again, I am just going with the flow, lol. So no worries, the result will be beautiful!
Assemble the crochet top.
After we have 2 pieces of rectangle, now it’s time to assemble.
Lay the front panel on top of the back panel and use a yarn needle to sew the side and leave space for the arm hole.
For the shoulder, sew about 3-4 inches.
Hope you guys like your new crochet summer top.
If you make one, I would love to see your creation tag me on Instagram!